Friday, May 30, 2008

Travel day - Addie's first flight

To all you faithful blog readers, we apologize for the late post. Today was a travel day (and also Addie's first flight). In the morning we completed paperwork to prepare for our visit to the US Consulate next week. As you can imagine, 14 sleep deprived new parents trying to fill out forms in Chinese was a sight to behold. The highlight of the paperwork, however was when Addie received her Chinese passport. She's travelling under the banner of the People's Republic until she comes home and becomes a US citizen. I'm pleased to report that she has a bow on in her passport photo. I think the Chinese government is going to place an order for 100 million hair bows from Tadpoles and Tiddlers - its going to become standard issue for all girls. In the afternoon we packed up our bags and made our way to the airport. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 5:45pm, but my(Brad) sixth sense as an experienced flyer sniffed out a delay right away. Earlier flights to the same location late taking off, no plane at the gate when we arrived, frantic airport personnel - I started having flashbacks to Chicago O'Hare. Unfortunately, I was right, but for different reasons. It turns out that in China, there is a limit to the number of babies on a flight. There were two adoption groups on the flight, so we blew past the limit. It looked grim, but the airline made an exception and let us on board. Then began the game of musical chairs - only one baby per row so everybody had to get up and start moving around. 30 newly adopted babies on one plane moving everywhere was a sight to behold. Needless to say, the locals were not happy. We almost had a brawl between a passenger and flight attendent. Once we had everyone situated, we went out to the runway and parked for 2 hours waiting out a storm. By the time we landed in Guangzhou, it was 10pm and we were 3 hours late. Addie was a trooper and can't wait to do battle with Chicago O'Hare airport like her old man. Now we're at the White Swan hotel and its past midnight so we're off to bed. See attached some photos from the trip along with Addie's new best friend, Lilly Lu and family from Georgia.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great description. I can't imagine the juggling it took to get one baby per aisle. Thank you so, so much for sharing! Every day is one step closer to bringing Addie home. Love her bows and color-coordinated outfits! You guys are a precious family! Much love, Jen and Tom

an said...

Thank you! Thank you! I was missing my fix. I am grateful you know how important these updates are for us. Even though your day was incredibly busy...THANKS.
Everything seems so exciting. I bet that plane was a sight to see.
I love you and am thinking of you all. Aunt Jan and Sam

Grandma Gail said...

This post is from my home computer as Eloise is now with her Gramps and Grandma Alice. Any worry that another change in her routine would be difficult was quickly dismissed when she found out that Gramps could lift her and allow her to reach things not possible with Grandma Gail. It is amazing the transformation of Addie in the original pictures and those you now send. She is happy and smiling in every one and already seems to know you will love and care for her forever.

voko1225 said...

Addie is beautiful! She has just hit the lottery and doesn't know it. Eloise and Addie will have so much fun growing up together. I can't wait to meet Addie. Good luck on the rest of your journey. Hugs, Vohn (Tiffany's Mom)

kari said...

Back in Ohio Eloise is bridging gaps. I spoke with Dad and they were all going to TJ Maxx together. Not joking- Gramma and Gramps shopping together. If Eloise can make that happen I fear our ability to say no to anything. And on top of that Addie's insistance as well- I think we all may be overthrown by the Mendelson girls- It is whatever they want for fear of turning those beautiful smiles into frowns. Miss you guys wish I was there! Looks like lots of fun. Love- Aunt Kari and Uncle DJ

Mom said...

I wish I could have been a speck of anything on that plane just so I could witness all that went on. Addie has a smile that makes everyone happy even when you are all so tired. And that's a good thing. Hang in there. You will all be together soon. That's when the fun will really start. Be well. Love you, Aunt Karen

gramma and gramps said...

Addie thanks for smiling so much and saving your Mom and Dad's sanity during the airplane fiasco. We love you all
Big Sister, Gramma Alice and Gramps

Kimberly said...

She is adorable! Jonathan and I are so happy for the two of you and can't wait to meet her. You've truly been blessed. Safe travels home.

Kim and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Addie just keeps getting happier and cuter with every new picture!! I can't wait to hold her! Glad you are enjoying your trip and come home soon- We need to meet this amazing little girl :)

Clong said...

Wow, what a LONG traveling day.
I am glad you've reached your destination. It seems like Addie is such a trooper already.
Her smiles melt my heart and you can tell she is so comfortable with her mommy and daddy already!
Only a few more days and you will be home with Eloise!!!!